Trains will not run between Zumaia and Zarautz from 4 July during the upgrading of the railway infrastructure
- Euskal Trenbide Sarea and Euskotren to put on buses to guarantee the passenger service. People with functional diversity and with special transport needs should call (00 34) 943 01 35 36 in advance to arrange their journey.
- The upgrading work is focused on the Zumaia viaduct over the River Urola, along with track replacement in the Meagas and San Miguel tunnels
The Euskotren trains will not run between Zumaia and Zarautz from 4 July and until the works are finished, during the work to upgrade the railway infrastructure that Euskal Trenbide Sarea has scheduled for that period. Buses will be put on to guarantee the service.
The service will be disrupted due to work to the Zumaia Bridge over the River Urola, along with track replacements and other upgrades to the infrastructure of the Meagas and San Miguel tunnels. The Basque Government's Department of Transport, headed by Minister Iñaki Arriola, has ordered the work and which involves a global investment of nearly €6 million.
The work at the Zumaia Bridge, also known as the San Miguel Bridge, over the River Urola, is going to involve structural repairs, along with the total replacement of the tracks and catenary.
First, the whole of the track superstructure will be removed to eliminate the loads on the structure so that it only carries its own weight. Structural work will then be carried out. Once completed, the upper slabs will be blasted and painted, anti-vibration pads fitted, drainage network built and the track superstructure and catenary assembled, and communications and safety features installed.
Three other projects will also be implemented during that period:
- Work to upgrade the track and lower its platform in the San Miguel tunnel between kilometre points 79+126 and 79+828, which basically consists of modernising the existing framework track sleepers, along with building retaining walls and ditches. As well as upgrading the track, the track platform will be lowered to ensure it is at least 4.30 metres high from the track to the contact wire.
- Work to replace the track and lower the track platform in the Meagas tunnel between kilometre points 81+829 to 82+800, with the same deliverables as above.
- Repair of the Meagas Tunnel between kilometres points 82+190 and 82+230. This project involves a series of tasks to upgrade tunnel lining.
DISRUPTIONS TO THE SERVICE
During the works, from 4 July and until the works are finished, buses will be laid on for passengers as explained below, and they will then continue their journey by train:
- Direction Bilbao: Bus transfer between Zarautz and Eibar to continue by train from Eibar station. The bus will only stop between Zarautz and Eibar to let passengers off. In Zarautz, the bus stop will be next to the provisional station.
- Direction Donostia/San Sebastián: Bus transfer from Zumaia to destination. The bus will only stop between Zarautz and Donostia to let passengers off. In Zumaia, the bus stop will be next to the station.
The trains will run at their usual times between Zumaia and Bilbao, and between Zarautz and Donostia.
From 17 July additional services from Zumaia to Amara at 7:11 and 8:11 will not circulate.
Users can find more information at:
- Euskotren telephone: 944 333 333